Skip to main content

Final Project...Welcome to ScienceVale!!! (Week of 3/29)

Attentive readers, you do not even know! You don't even understand the energy and excitement coursing through my veins as of this moment! I have been tasked with creating a project to discuss the findings of this very blog, and oh boy am I excited! Let's start off with a quick glance at the various forms of science communication used today! 

Initially, I looked at various science Tiktoks, a form of visual and auditory communication sometimes used to discuss science. I enjoyed it's multi-faceted nature, and how broadly it can be utilized, but I was not a fan of the necessary brevity in each video. The medium is just not meant for long discussions or in depth explanations, but instead to quickly accumulate views and provide short-term entertainment. I have linked the article that I used in my research below. 

https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/the-science-community-shows-off-on-tiktok

Afterwards I turned my attention towards the a science account of Twitter, which utilizes almost wholly visual elements to inform the reader. Now, while I like the accessibility of the medium and how it engages readers of many different backgrounds, it is on a social media platform, and thus is easy to bypass and miss in the hustle and bustle of more exciting posts or controversies. The tweets also often linked to research articles and complex diagrams, which are not at all accessible to entry-level science enthusiasts. I have linked the channel below for your viewing pleasure. 

https://twitter.com/PhysioMeScience

Finally, after a short and not-so-exhausting trek through my own personal Instagram, I found the two sources of my exaltation. First and most relevant, I have been subscribed to a podcast called DNA Today, a DNA podcast that brings professionals and experts on to talk the most current and modern genetics-related news to date, for over two years. It's informative, reliable, and entertaining without being too brief, all while being accessible to a general audience due to its directly educational nature. My second burst of excitement comes from another podcast called Welcome to Nightvale. It is a narrative podcast based in a fictional desert town that has compelled me (since March of 2020) to go from Episode 1 to Episode 141, all due to it's cohesive and creative storytelling. It has kept me attracted and attached to the characters within, and is a large inspiration for my own affinity for literature and the spoken word. Unfortunately, neither the former or the latter podcast have a transcript, but that is really the only downside I can think of.  I will link both below!  

http://dnapodcast.com

http://www.welcometonightvale.com

I plan to use the podcast medium for the final project, as I feel it will lend itself best to my own talents. This will allow me to craft a project using accessible jargon and post a transcript that can be found easily for those that have hearing issues. Speaking of the details of my own podcast, I need to address the outline. 

Starters

  • I used mango, banana, and control starters, and (using audio, as it is a podcast) discuss the origins of each and the cultures that use the former two. 
  • I also plan to talk about my starters growth and development, as well as their unfortunate passing and what I did for the course afterwards. I will post pictures and the like on my blog in a summary post. 
Rising Rate Experiment
  • I will post the graphs and charts from the classmates data I used in a previous post on my blog to coincide with the release of my podcast. 
Experimental Questions
  • The questions posed in the immediately previous blog post will be asked in depth and have an analytical perspective, focusing on the results and data shown. 
Conclusion
  • My conclusion would include graphs and data discussing the findings from the sequencing (talked about on my podcast, posted on my blog). 
Thanks so much for following along, and see ya next week... where you may become loyal listeners!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unique Microbes Analysis Blogpost (Week of 4/5)

 I have reached the pique of scientific comebacks! I have returned from the depths of long overdue work and, finally, have caught up! Nonetheless, celebratory affairs should only go on for so long, and we have a TON to talk about! This week your digital guide has been busy analyzing a fellow classmates' starters! I analyzed samples 55 and 57, the former of which being the control starter (just flour) and the latter holding blueberries. In the fruit sample, a unique microbe under the species name Pediococcus pentosaceus was found. Interestingly enough, this very same microbe is used in natural and additive fermentation to release flavor compounds into various food groups such as meats and dairy! Even more exciting, the fermentation of blueberries with this microbe helps to unlock the probiotic potential of the fruit... scrumptious! This was found in a study linked below (in citations!).  Now, in the actual process of fermentation, this microbe does its best work. They perform phosph

We got BUBBLES, BOYZ!!

  As one travels along the soul-searching path of growing sourdough starters, one must also update his loyal fanbase on the progress that has been made. Similarly to Odysseus, my starters have been through the absolute ringer. Starting at the end of last week, I forgot to feed and water my starters, effectively missing one whole day. The starters were.... rough looking, to say the least. Dried up and brittle, the collective crust of the three trials was looking rather dire. I recognized the mistake and set out to correct it with the correct portions of food and dechlorinated water, hoping that I wasn't too late, being a day off of schedule and all (sweats nervously). Lo and behold, for I have salvaged the scraps of my experiments and prevailed! Three days after my experiment's beginning, a revival occurred and my three starters have... risen (that pun was soooo intended)! Feast your eyes on my beautiful bubbly boys! (Control Group) (Banana Variable) (Mango Trouble Child) (all p

Final Blog Post ( A tear-stricken farewell)

 I have completed my final project, my coup de grace , as it were. It is a magnificent, illustrious podcast of my own design, and I hope my attentive readers and loyal listeners alike enjoy it! The link to the podcast (discussing and analyzing the general summary of this semester's lab, entitled Sourdough Center Episode 2) is posted below this paragraph. I have also made a blog post with a transcript of the episode in the previous post.  https://anchor.fm/joseph-lewis65/episodes/Sourdough-Center-Episode-2--Finale-evfkcg This semester has been delightful, challenging, and, at times, tedious, but I have loved this course and making these blogs all the same. Thank you, all my readers, for sticking along. Love you guys!